• New to Germany, so please help me out here:

1. Re-compression Chambers - Any one got a list of where they are?

2. Is there a German equivalent to DES (Diver Emergency Services)?

3. What Dive insurance do people use!?!? DAN SEAP?

4. Drysuit repairs - In northern Germany + around Frankfurt, where do people go?

5. IS there a German equivelant to NAS (Nautical Archeological Society)?

6. What are the local laws regarding teaching SCUBA? ie must all regulators be sterilised, is a snorkel required to be carried at all times, are instructors required to have an annual health check, must instructors recieve special certification to work with children below the age of 18 etc etc

7. Where can i find the local regulations regarding testing of equipment?!

8. Where is a good source of tools and spare parts for me to service my own regulators!?

9. Which websites do people use to buy scuba equipment from!? and is there any restriction on imports into Germany?

Grusse Gut.

Neil

• Hello,
    3. I think there are two main dive insurances in Germany. DAN and Aquamed. I am insured with Aquamed. The Dive Card Basic is 45€/Year.
    8./9. For example:
    Divesupport
    Deepstop

There are no taxes on all imports within the EU and there are around 40% taxes on all imports from out of the EU.

Gruß, Sebastian

• Hey Neil,
    one or the other answer... (will try to add more, as soon as I have some time for it)

1. List of Recompression chambers
    GTUEM-Liste der Druckkammern in Deutschland, Österreich, Schweiz

3. Diver Insurance people use
    - DAN Europe, Level according to your needs
    - Gerling for those who are members of the VDST
    - Aquamed, as already mentioned

4. Drysuit repair
    - BtS Service & Repair, Mönchengladbach (esp. for DUI Drysuits)
    - Neopren-Service, Hamburg
    - Workstation Berlin

Hope that helps,
    Maren

• ahh so...

my iphone app was right when it said that the closest chamber to Kiel is in fact in Copenhagen or Papenburg....

und danke,, ja ich habe BSAC insurance und DAN SEAP, but SEAP is Asia specific. So okay i have dropped DAN an email then. Ta for that.

ohh and just thought of another Q:

10. What is the legal responsibility for ensuring that 02 or a Defibrillator are available during courses or on commercial charters?

• Hi Neil!

There is no responsebility for a O²-Mask or Defi in a course or boattrip. It´s only voluntary. There is no law in germany that says u must have something like that.

But in a case of emergency u really happy to have that. And if u are the organizer of a Scubatrip oder Scubainstructor our prosecutor looks first what u have done to give the injured diver the best medical care. U known what i mean?

greetings

Stephan

PS: to Q 4. -->tauchbasis-greifswald.de (he makes very good neopren- and trilaminatworks) Greifswald is near the Isle "Rügen" in the Northeast Germany.

• Zitat

Original von neil richardsonmy iphone app was right when it said that the closest chamber to Kiel is in fact in Copenhagen or Papenburg....

Actually there is a chamber almost in Kiel, it's with the German Navy in Kronshagen.

Jürgen

• Ahh,, Navy,, which is probably why its not coming up.....

thanks for that. I just wondered for my own sake where the nearest hyperbaric chamber is, should i have an accident.

Again, thanks all for your answers, any more to follow?

Neil

• Hi,

there are no specific regulations by law for recreational diving nor the diving education in Germany.

From that it follows, that our basis law, the Bürgeliche Gesetzbuch is the "Bible".

For scuba diving, it is essential to regard what is normal thinking and responsiveness. And from that it woud always be a good idea, to study the regulations of for instance from PADI. If in an case of accident you can prove, that you had been acting according to their standards, you will have a good position.

But you always could be blamed if you were acting different to what you should have known regarding your apparent experience - not regarding what you really know or might have forgotten!!

Klaus

• Thanks everyone for these replies.

Makes for really interesting reading for myself, especially regarding the legal aspect, as i thought there would at least be german standards, and guidelines which would govern and guide what we do.

Thanks again everyone.